The Korean Cultural Centre UK: Open Call for Curatorial Proposals
Deadline: January 16, 2013
The Korean Cultural Centre UK (KCCUK) invites individual or collective curators to submit an exhibition proposal for a 6-week show of visual art in our exhibition space in central London. Two successful proposals – one proposal by Korean curator/s and the other by non Korean curator/s – will form part of the 2013 exhibition programme respectively in April and September at the Korean Cultural Centre UK. The selected curator/s will receive 2000 pounds of curatorial fee and exhibition production budget within 8000 pounds will be supported by the Korean Cultural Centre UK. The KCCUK will provide administrative support and on-line/off-line PR.
The Korean Cultural Centre UK is looking for curator/s with a creative vision that can present a platform for artists to engage with their audience. The KCCUK is open to curatorial proposals that draw from a wide range of artistic practices; welcoming innovative ideas and cross-cultural contexts that engage with the public whilst maximising the exhibition space on offer.
Please carefully read the submission guidelines below:
To apply for the open call, candidates must:
- Be UK-based Independent curator/s
- Be individuals with a proven track record of curating exhibitions in the UK
- Not be an employee of any cultural institution
Requirements for Submission
- Closing date for submission is 5pm, Wednesday 16 January 2013
- Late applications shall not be considered for evaluation
- Curators may apply for the competition as individuals as well as in groups (or as curatorial collectives)
- All proposals must be previously unpublished, must not have been realised or exhibited before
- Proposals must include 3 or more artists, more than half of whom must be Korean artists
- Proposals should take into consideration the 160 square metre of the KCCUK exhibition space
- Curators will not be allowed to participate as artists in the projects
- All submitted proposal will be reviewed by a jury panel consisting of UK based art experts.
- A Shortlist of proposals will be announced by the end of January 2013.
- The shortlisted curators should then refine and finalize their proposals and present them to the jury panel for consideration. The candidates will be interviewed by the jury in early February with the winner of the 2013 Open Call for Curatorial Proposals being announced shortly afterwards.
- The final selected proposal will then be examined, developed and finalized in partnership with the curator of the Korean Cultural Centre UK with the purpose of taking into account financial constraints, artists requirements and the architectural specificities.