Director | USA
Director of Scottsdale Public Art
We are looking for a dynamic professional team leader for Scottsdale Public Art, a division of Scottsdale Arts. Scottsdale Arts is a leading nonprofit arts organization in the Southwest. This unique opportunity is for a select candidate who has experience and expertise in managing a municipal public art program. If you have a passion for the arts, and the powerful impact they can have on people’s lives, we want to meet with you.
Live the Art, Love the Place
Scottsdale Arts was established in 1987 as a private, nonprofit management company contracted by the City of Scottsdale to independently administer its arts and cultural affairs. Since then, Scottsdale Arts has become a regionally and nationally significant arts organization with three principal operating divisions – each with a distinct focus – spanning the performing and visual arts: Scottsdale Center for the Performing Arts, Scottsdale Museum of Contemporary Art (SMoCA) and Scottsdale Public Art. Scottsdale Public Art has built an increasingly diverse and broadly focused program that includes permanent public art, Art in Private Development, temporary installations, exhibitions, and events. Scottsdale Public Art is an important driver for both economic revitalization and tourism for the City of Scottsdale. It has been a leader in building a vital program of temporary installations and have been recognized both nationally and internationally for its unique, annual event, Canal Convergence Water + Art + Light.
The Director is responsible for the direction and vision of Scottsdale Public Art. The mission of Scottsdale Public Art is to serve as a leader in defining art in the public realm through creative place-making, signature cultural events, exhibitions, and installations – contributing to the community’s creative, cultural, and economic vitality. The Director will serve as a respected manager/coach who will inspire their team and lead through example. The Director serves on our Senior Management Team and reports to the President. The position works closely with the organization’s Division and Department directors, the Public Art Advisory Board, and the Board of Trustees.
Our Director of Scottsdale Public Art will utilize the skills and abilities of our diverse stakeholders and build upon the relationships to further our mission to develop, advance and deliver high-quality arts and cultural experiences and opportunities.
Knowledge and abilities needed to be successful in this position:
- Proven track record in the administration and oversight of a public art program serving a large municipality.
- Understanding and ability to implement appropriate protocols for a public art program to enrich the community and support a strong partnership with the city and its residents.
- Active support and oversight for permanent and temporary exhibitions, as well as festivals in support of public art programs.
- Exceptional communication skills, with particular emphasis on interaction with both 1:1 and group settings
- Excellent organizational abilities with a strong initiative-driven method of work production.
- Proven capability of working with database-driven information
- Ability to lead, influence and negotiate
- Experience in Development initiatives and growth of revenues.
- Proven track record of meeting department/organizational goals
- Knowledge, passion and desire to work in support of performing arts and education programs
This position requires a master’s degree in related field, along with eight to 10 years of experience with progressively increasing responsibility and oversight of a department. A minimum of three years of that experience must include active supervision and leading of others to reach departmental goals. The ability to work flexible hours is required.
The position is full-time, with a rich benefits plan including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, supplemental life insurance, long-term disability and more! We offer a 401K after a year’s employment and a Paid Time Off program with a full holiday schedule. Salary commensurate with experience.
Scottsdale Public Art
7380 East Second Street
Scottsdale, AZ 85251. USA